When developing marketing campaigns and programs, an organization's differentiated functions will expect differentiated messaging, content, and art direction. Ensuring that you have bespoke, personalized messages for each ‘persona’ is crucial to delivering the right content, to the right person, at the right time.
Below are seven characteristics we often see customers segment their inbound traffic or their marketing automation databases on and that we segment based on:
- Job Function
- Company Employee Range / Revenue Range
Let's dive into each of these to understand how and why you should consider them in your Marketo Programs and their associated benefits.
Leadspace works with some of the world's most forward-thinking, progressive Enterprises, and each collaborates with Leadspace on their Persona development. We offer the opportunity to use our deep third-party insights to craft custom personas. Here's how they can support your Marketo Campaigns:
- Leadspace leverages continuous measurement with analytics to inform your bottom-up optimization of Custom Personas over time. We're constantly optimizing for your business.
- We capture your opportunity data or your closed / won data with their associated contacts and run an analysis of those people closest to the buying cycle.
- Personas take the guessing out of building your Smart Lists—by capturing Titles, Departments, Specialties, Job Functions, and a wealth of other signals—you can consolidate your smart list filters into a single, reusable filter - as seen below:
Ideal Customer Profile (ICP)
- Using your defined Leadspace Ideal Customer Profile (ICP), each inbound lead gets a best-fit score against the most appropriate profile when there is a fit.
- Because the ICP considers not only title, department, job signals, and technologies but also those semantically related, as each of these fields can be noisy at best, segmenting based on ICP is going to give the most defined and actionable segments.
- The Leadspace ICP scoring offers you insight into how similar your prospects are to companies that have purchased from you in the past, allowing you to tailor content, timing, and messaging precisely.
- Job Function is one of the most powerful opportunities for your B2B email and omnichannel programs to be contextualized, working harmoniously with Marketo to deliver hyper-relevant content at the right time.
- Take an eCommerce opportunity, for example—we know that eCommerce can be a challenging market to reach since titles and departments don't often denote eComm. With Leadspace, however, you can drill down into the specifics of a contact's day-to-day. With Job function, you may get these details in enrichment on your records.
- Commerce;eCommerce; Cloud Computing; Publishing; ASQ; Business Intelligence; Executive; Business Analytics; Dynamic Discounting
- Immediately you see Dynamic Discounting, you can hyper-target a contact who works on eComm platforms!
- If the persona or ICP can’t segment a lead, then the default (or fallback) segmentation could be department and level, depending on how you have tailored your messaging.
- Department allows you to be interest-specific, and level ensures that a VP-level person and an assistant get seniority-specific.
- These fields are provided through Leadspace enrichment and can be segmented when the lead isn’t an excellent fit for one of your predictive personas.
Industry & Company Revenue
- Once you have your initial person-level segmentation, additional company-level segmentation can help further tailor your messaging.
- For instance, messaging to a small company of 50 or less might be about how Leadspace helps them find their perfect buyers and perfect accounts for their 2022 growth strategies, and messaging to a company of 50,000 or more might be about how to enable their data management services to have precise marketing campaign planning for 2023.
- These can also be used as a catch-all for any leads not segmented by the above variables, as Leadspace populates these fields 99% of the time.
- Knowing that one of your Ideal Customers is using a competitive technology could enter them into a competitive content track, or the same is true for those using complementary technologies.
- Once you have segmented by ICP, a secondary level of segmentation on technologies used would mean that you could, for example, have a specific campaign aimed just at VPs of Sales Ops that use your competitors’ technologies.
These are the top seven, out of 80+, data points that Leadspace provides we often see customers use for their lead nurturing programs. With these critical variables, your segmentation could look something more like this: